The boys are back with the latest entry in the Definitive Ranking series, going all the way back to 1991 to talk about Metroid II: Return of Samus? How does the original Game Boy classic hold up? Should Metroid fans bother with this title or just head straight to the remakes? And might this be the best example of a game making chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what? Come find out with us!
Just as a refresher, the categories we’re ranking each game in are:
– World / Atmosphere (the vibe, the setting, the mood)
– Art Style (design of Samus, the enemies, the graphics in general)
– Story (what works, what doesn’t)
– Pacing / Progression (are there any parts that really bog the player down, or is it still fun getting lost?)
– Gameplay / “Gimmick” (what new or different gameplay aspects we like)
– Items / Abilities (how are the powerups and are they cool and practical)
– Areas (how does each individual area look, feel, play, etc.)
– Enemies / Bosses (are they fun, creative, etc.)
– Expansions / Powerups (are the expansions hidden throughout the world fun, creative, and enjoyable to collect?)
– Music (are we humming along?)
Of course, all of these are subjective, and we’re putting our critics hats on, but we want to hear what you have to say on Twitter!
Follow us on Twitter!
Chat with us in Discord!
INTRO SONG – Listen here!
OUTRO SONG – Listen here!
Doominal Crossing is a Website Editor and Podcaster on Omega Metroid. You like Jazz?